Wednesday, January 20, 2010

imagination..

... vs reality.

I came across and interesting concept today- imagination vs. reality. So easy for our minds to take us places we have never been or show us a world unknown. With the blink of an eye you can envision yourself in a place where streets are made of chocolate and lanes filled with gum drops. A place you can get everything your heart desires. But what happens when you return to reality? What happens when you come back and things that once were aren't anymore?

When I was younger I had a hell of an imagination.

In my imagination, when I was older, I would be a CEO of a major flourishing business, an artist, a free spirit that dances to the beat of my own drum. A person who loves to feel the grass and dirt between my toes. A person that is care free; someone who dances in the rain and doesn't care for rules. Someone who thinks outside the box and is living life to the fullest extent but takes time out to smell the roses.

In reality I work a dead end 9-5 and have no time for art. Dancing in the rain doesn't happen for fear of my hair getting wet and catching a cold. Rules are my life; my bible and without them I would be lost. Where I come from being care free is frowned upon and don't you dare have your own opinion. 'Round these parts, you better have your head in the game 24/7, no time for smelling roses, and you can live your life to the fullest when you're dead. And the germaphobe that I am now WOULD NEVER put my feet in the dirt!

So the big question is, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?

If it were possible, I think the 5 year old me would kick the 24 year old me's butt! At what point in my life did I stop imagining things? When did dreams become distant memories and reality, like the dictator it is, come and over throw my imagination? We all know at some point we must grow up and put away childish things, but who says our imagination has to be one of them? Why must it be work, work, work all time instead of play? Why can't we have a recess every now and then, and eat dessert first sometimes?

Maybe if we let that little kid that is inside of us out every once in a while we will learn to stop being so serious all the time. We will learn to enjoy life on a daily basis instead of waiting for something monumental to happen that forces us to change our way of thinking. So, I don't know about you, but I'm getting some crayons and a coloring book on the way home. And you know what? I'm coloring OUTSIDE the lines this time around!
ConverseLuv



I wrote myself a letter
I wrote myself a letter,
I mailed it right away,
And, sure enough, the carrier,
delivered it today.

I couldn't wait to get it.
I nearly had to shout.
I quickly tore the envelope,
and pulled the letter out.

I anxiously unfolded it,
but now I must concede.
I'm clueless to what it says,
I haven't learned to read.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with this post, but I think this is something that is instilled in us at such an early age. Think about the advice your parents gave you to always work hard, nothing is free, and your only as good as what you do. All of these saying instill a sense of being afraid to fail which becomes a stressor as we become adults, forcing us to become a generation of worriers.I agree we all need to pick up a crayon every now and then :)

    ReplyDelete