Thursday, May 10, 2012

playing catch up- the dress part deux

Where oh where has the time gone?  I feel like I blinked and months flew right by!  I can't believe we are at the 80 day mark.  So let's get caught up, shall we?

Last time I wrote, we were at the cash register ordering my wedding dress.  As I stated, the worst thing imaginable happened. The consultant had informed me that the dress had in fact been discontinued.
 "So what does this mean for me?", I asked.  Basically, I had two.... well one choice really.  I can either take the sample dress that I tried on, or I could walk away.  There were no other dresses being made, and there were only 4 dresses in my size in the continental USA.  No pressure, right?   One of the things that David's Bridal does is make all their dresses ready to go, so essentially, each dress in the store can be bought as is.  That is fine for a normal dress, but for a wedding dress?  If you've ever been a bride or bridesmaid and tried on dresses at DB's, you will know that the dresses there really take a beating.  There are holes and tears and all kinds of stains.

Would I really want a dress that so many others had tried on and abused?  I asked the manager if there was any way I could get a discount since this was the last dress of that style.  I was told because the dress was from the Fall 2010 line, and the price had been dramatically reduced, the only thing they could do was take off an additional $100, but I would have to take the dress that day, and they would not do any alterations or cleaning/ fittings. (Great discount, right?)  My other alternative was to pay for the dress as is, have the alterations department clean the dress, reinforce each applique and bead and then move forward with fittings and alterations.

What to choose, what to do?  I decided to take a lunch break, (yes, we had been there from 10- 2pm), think it over, and then come back and make a final decision.

In my heart, my frugal frugal heart, I knew that I did not want to spend a lot of money on a dress. Plain and simple.  The idea of spending ridiculous amounts of money on a dress that I would only wear once was beyond the grasp of what my frugal pocket could bear.   I also knew  that I am plus size, which means most places slap on the "fat tax". Was this really my dress?  Would I be ok if I walked away and then found out someone had in fact bought the dress..my dress?

I decided to go ahead and get it. There were no tears, no crazy antics like what goes on Say Yes to the dress, (Love that show!), but I just had the feeling that I couldn't walk away. I waited a couple weeks for the alterations to be done, had another fitting and have had the dress ever since. All is well in dress land.   :)
ConversLuv

No comments:

Post a Comment